Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Poppa's Got A Brand New Rake.

The last old one looks like this. It has three notable failures. It’s missing most of its wheels. It rakes one row at a time. It’s older than Dingo.
The one that today became the most recent old one look like this. Minus the drowning in, sea of grass. It has two notable failures. The design was based upon the best designed V rakes of the day. Which means it was mortally flawed by having the swinging hinge in the center of the row of wheels. The other failure of this rake is me. I’m not weld-ability enough to keep it from falling to pieces. It will break. I canna fix it.
Aaaaand, this is my [dad’s] spiffy! shiny! much gooderly designed (four wheel)! hydraulically controlled! fully adjustable! factory built! Hesston 8 wheel V rake!! The guy who showed me how to operate it tells me that it will teach me how to rake if I let it. I’m looking forward to that machine-man conversation. Shaping up to be a good one. It too has a notable failure. It cost a friggin’ boatload of cash. Sixty-two hundred. It's just eight spinner wheels on bearings on spring controlled arms, four on a side hinged at the rear expandable under hydraulic control mounted on a frame. With a hitch. That better be one crazy amazing hitch, bub.

What Is A Rake? a tutorial.
Hay is grass. It grows in my fields. I hook my tractor up to a mower (flail, scythe, cutditioner, whathaveyou). Mow 9’ swaths all across the field. The top of the hay dries. I flip the hay over with a tedder. The top of the hay dries. Repeat till it’s all dry. I rake the hay with a rake. Pull it from scattered all over the field into windrows. Over these windrows I will drive the baler.

1 Comments:

Blogger sailfish said...

yah, this new thing looks much more efficient. cool to see the evolution of rakers tho.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home