Monday, July 24, 2006

Cow Bio - Crazy

We have two cows which look quite similar. One gave birth over a month ago. The other was more recent. The day she did give birth, she did it just minutes before I had shown up to move them to the next paddock. The wet, and none too aware calf was sitting at her feet. When I managed to encourage the rest of the herd to move on, the mother had a visible war going on in her head. Newly found maternal instincts waged on against herd mentality. The herd initially won out and she scampered to follow everyone else.
Which left her little calf. He was unaware enough and small enough that I was going to pick him up and carry him over to her in the next pasture. An easy enough fix. I carried him like a puppy, upside down and legs all aflail. When I got him over to the creek and fence he started to realized that being carried was not natural and started bawling his head off. This brought his mother and twenty other concerned bovines running my way, with the full intent to dismember me and feed me to the crickets. Point being, I saw this calf. I carried this calf. I knew this calf.

The next day, I didn’t notice him with the herd, but I wasn’t concerned, as calves scampering in amongst 45 times four cow legs are easy to miss. The next day, I also did not notice him. And the next. But four days after he was born my cousin calls me up to tell me that one of the two identifiable cows has just had a calf.
But that can’t be. The one had one ages ago. The other gave birth four days earlier. A newborn and a four-day old are very discernable. So, I told him as much. But he stuck by his story, that it was fresh and wet all wobbly-legged.
Indeed the calf was back with the herd. My only guess is that he didn’t like being born and went back inside his mother for a few more days. After she birthed him again she wouldn’t let him back in. This is my theory.
His name is Crazy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:
Farm/Ranch animals imitate life. My daughter was born 14 days after her due date. I was induced, and still she wouldn't come out. I was this close (I'm now holding thumb and forefinger 1/8" apart) to having a C-Section. The difference between me and that mother cow? Thirty seconds after her birth, I would have skinned alive anyone who took my daughter. Despite the difference, we are all animals, when it comes down to it. Some of us simply have opposable thumbs and college educations.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

But did your daughter want back in? Come on Drew; the calf went back in?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

stephen:
Yep. She's in me now. She's 11.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

That can't be true.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home