Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lit Dervish.

The last two books I read.
Purple America. One eventful weekend of a family in Connecticut.
The Accidental. One eventful summer of a family in the UK.
Both are recommendable. Both are critically acclaimed beyond what I would say. Which is that they were both somewhere in the range of Middling-Good trending towards Good-Good on my newly invented scale of book.
Strangely, they were both written from multiple perspectives, one per chapter. I hadn’t come across a book capable of handling such a gimmick since Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury.
Sometimes the world throws coincidences at you. Sometimes the coincides are so utterly mundane that you’re wondering why I’d even bring up such a point.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:
I have dreams about things before they happen (I'm not crazy) but they're "mundane" things, like when I go to visit my friend in Canada who I haven't spoken to in a year, she'll have a picture of poodle on the piano. Stuff that doesn't matter. So why would I dream about it before hand? Does it matter?

I love Faulkner's Light in August. I will never forget one sentence he wrote about a wagon on a dirt road in the heat. I actually felt hot reading it.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Cybele said...

I'm guessing you like non-linear storytelling. Have you read David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest?

...and, WTF? I'm dying of suspense, here.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Hey there, Lotb. Here via the VoF... I read your entire archives a few days ago and greatly enjoyed them.

I recommend 'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver as a must read. And Cybele, have you read DFW's 'The Broom of the System'? It's a scream. Waaay different than 'Infinite Jest'.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

viscountess, hot? or hot?
I really really liked Sound and Fury, but have yet to pick anything else Faulkner up.

I have not read the Poisonwood, nor IJ. But both are on my to do list.

Cootera - thanks.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:
hot.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home