Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cow Bio - Leon

R.I.P.

My favorite calf goes to auction tomorrow morning.
When the calves were put out to pasture this spring Leon decided to befriend me. He's got a small problem with his hips that makes his back leg steps about half what the average cow steps. Rather than take more steps or speed his pace, Leon is just the last calf anywhere. He takes his sweet time. So I wait at the gate for him to saunter up. If he's hungry he'll walk on by. But more likely than not, he'll come up to me to wrestle. He usually wins. I pet him. He's my pet.

The present tense part of all that is a lie.




.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how sad.

i love the cow bios.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Do you guys brand your cows?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Cupcake said...

Huh. That nifty little verb tense trick is exactly how my father broke the news that our dog was put to sleep.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

cept that i kinda gave it away early with the rest in peace caption.

steve - no. as i understand it, branding is for free ranging cattle so when they're all rounded up, you know whose is whose. and for dipshit badasses too cool for tattoos.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, Leon.

Lotb - I am decidedly NOT a vegetarian and LOVE my steak, but Leon could make me reconsider this. I'll just keep telling myself steak comes from the store comes from the store comes from the store.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Leon.

This one's for you big guy (I just threw on "Five Years" by David Bowie).

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you're discriminating against the disabled, disabled discriminator.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

i discriminate purely towards (against?) the too fat and the too tall.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

I had a similar experience with a brain-damaged sheep. These things make us stronger.
XOXO,
Grace

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home