Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hope Is The Float In Your Toilet.

Three different families have approached us regarding the renting of our farm. One bowed out for financial reasons. They were most interested in keeping the operation going as is, but couldn't come up with the capital to buy our equipment, buy our cattle, and live. One bowed out for fear of biting off more then they could chew. The third family is waiting for the bank to send back a Yes or a No as to their loan. As are we. This third family is planning or turning the farm back into a dairy. A grassfed, organic dairy. This is wonderful for two reasons, and moderately painful for another two.

On the plus sides, a dairy is more profitable than a beef farm. The likelihood of a family succeeding financially with a herd of milk cows is far greater than with beeves. And for a more personal relief, they don't plan on getting started until the spring. I won't have to worry my pretty little head on how to keep my herds fat and sassy with my substantial hay deficit. I can sell them all. I can even sell them before I need to feed this fall at all. Added bonus: the hay and corn I do have is money in the bank. With this bad year, we can empty our barns in a flash.

The problems are (1) that there are people who like and buy our beef. It's very good and very cheap and it's about to no longer exist. We don't even know who exists around Knox county that has a similar product that we could recommend to our customers. And like that *poof* we were gone.
And this family has meticulously gone through budget after budget and decided to keep the initial capital outflow as low as they can. Which means they don't have much of an interest in the 45+ pieces of machinery that is worth about $75,000. They're mine to attempt to get as much out of as I can. That will not be any fun. Some are worth 10K and more and I need to get at least that much. Some are worth more as scrap steel than as the functioning piece of equipment that they are. And I haggle Oh-so-poorly.

That's the status. If this family gets approved. And completes the decision to sell their house, to leave their extended family, to start a farm, to sign our lease. If that, then I'm much closer to being free again. And if not any one of those things, we will be frantically placing ads in every farming magazine that makes sense. And waiting again.

10 Comments:

Blogger sailfish said...

so you'd just be leasing/renting the land, right? what about the two houses? and barns? that's just leased too, right? and your mom would live in the house she's in, right?

i haggle like no other. even the vendors in the piazzas in sarajevo hate to see me stroll by. wish i could help you in that area, at least. if i knew more about the machinery i could very well haggle and maybe get a good price. too bad i know squat.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ever contact any of the places that sell in the north market? most of the vendors are local and organic. why don't you sell the machinery at auction?

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it works out, Drew. I used to know your cousin Bradley and feel very sad for what your family is going through right now. Fingers crossed for that family's loan and that you get good prices for the machines.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish for your freedom but am made sad by it as well

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.bluescreekfarmmeats.com

these are the ppl who sell at the north market

11:16 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Could you save the last cow and bring it to MPLS when you come back? I can buy a chest freezer if needed. Miss you!

Oh, brainco was dozen over. It's gone!

1:34 PM  
Blogger christina said...

he means brainco was dozed over. razed some might say.

happy to hear that you have a potential buyer. i am a lover of the organic milk. i don't envy you though for have to sell off the machines though. does not sounds fun.

hope you come back to mpls soon!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:

My mom was born in Lymon Neb in 1935 (don't worry, I won't do her full life story). During the depression, she and her three brothers and her parents put everything they owned into one trailer and moved to Washington. She was allowed to bring one toy. It was a chalkboard easel. I still have it. It is one of my most treasured possessions. It reminds me every day of out excess and our consumerism and of simpler times.

It also makes me appreciate the way of life of the American farmer. I can't imagine how you've done it this far this long, but my hats off to you for all you've done for your family and for this way of life. I admire you.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Drew,
I had been reading your blog for quite awhile before you stopped writing in January. I just stopped by for the first time in months to check and see if you posted anything new. I was shocked and so terribly sorry to hear of your dad's tragic passing. I just want you to know that I'm sending all my good vibes your way and praying that everything works out with the farm for you and your whole family.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.flyingjfarm.com/

this place sells the beefs that eat the grass at the westerville farmer's market. mmm beefs.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home