Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Magic Kingdom, For Sale--

None of my father's three children are yet farmers. We all harbored day-dream desires to perhaps come home to the farm in the far future. But that future is suddenly here. And our day-dreams don't match the reality.

The farm will be for rent. After we figure out what we want to charge, we'll look for candidates to rent.
So, who wants a functioning, populated, sustainable (excepting the diesel fuel and seed inputs), grass-fed angus beef operation? I'll even lend a hand to get you started, if needed. We'd like to rent the entire farm as is. What we don't want is to auction off all the livestock and equipment and have someone come in and plant corn and beans over it. That's a small step from covering it with McMansions.

I went the the local extension agency to ask for help. My dad never put much stock with them. And now I know why.
Google would have served me better. They just couldn't find it in themselves to give a fuck. Government salaries have a way of reducing any job's inherent usefulness and response.
The agent I talked with told me I was being unreasonable to expect to find grassfed farmers to take over. And maybe my glasses are rose-colored. If you have any suggestions as to how to get the word out, please, suggest away.

aside* During the memorial service, a local agent for the extension office recalled a time when my dad went in with a small manifesto he'd written and tried to enlist help from the extension office. The manifesto was dealing with not looking to the local, state, or federal government for help, but rather to build up and focus on doing things that needed done in and amongst ourselves in the community. Helping those who need it, relying less on gov't subsidies, and the like.
The agent proudly recounted this little story, leaving out only the part where my dad was effectively laughed out of the building. They get paid no matter what happens, what care have they?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

What's the acreage and animal count?

You could contact:
-Farm and Dairy
-Stockman Grass Farmer
-the Ohio Farm/barter/trade yahoolist
-Innovative Farmers of Ohio

you can google these things.

What you don't want is for some wannabee to come in all idealistic about being a grass farmer, and then realize a year later it's not what they want. It'll be Wayne Homes for everybody.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hey you. After several abortive attempts to find hired help, my parents have announced that they are winding down their grass-fed angus operation and moving to Tulsa to dote on their only grand-daughter. It's probably for the best, but soon will be in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what to do with several thousand acres that straddle a small mountain in the middle of East Jesus Nowhere. I always hoped my brother would turn into a farmer, thus sparing me guilt over not having turned into one myself. He has turned out to be a real estate agent, however, and that's just how it goes.

P.S. I'm not really dead

2:47 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

Favorite:
Our farm is 265 acres total. That includes the fields, pastures, house and barns, woods and access lanes/roads. I have yet to figure out what acreage of that is farmed.
My aunt and uncle live up the road. From them we rent 78 more acres.
We have around 200 beefs. Babies, mothers, one and two year olds. About 70 breeding mothers. That number is going to go down here quick.

I was planning on running classifieds in the first three of those magazines, is that what you were meaning by "contact" them, or do you think they could do more than that?

Grace:
I'm glad you both survived your vacation.
Is that the same farm you grew up on?

11:31 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:

I'm not sure if I should say, "I'm sorry," or "good for you!" for the decision to rent/lease the farm. I'll leave that up to you, but I'll offer my best wishes either way.

Question: what are you going to do now?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

Do now: run the farm till it's covered.
Do then: move back to Minneapolis and go back to school/find a job. Take my girlfriend with me.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

"Is that the same farm you grew up on?"

No. When I was a kid my parents were still in their idealistic self-sustaining-family-farm phase. After many years of heart-ache and frustration, we moved west and they took over my grand-dad's place after he died. Lots of heartache and frustration there, too. But that's farming for you. Have I ever told you how much I love your blog?

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home