Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Loyal Divide.

Minneapolis has a wonderful local music scene. I took it for granted while I was there and was an infrequent goer to of shows. Mark Mallman and Tapes ’N Tapes and the Soviettes and P.O.S. and Atmosphere and the Hold Steady and Ol’ Yeller and the Brass Kings and Har Mar and the Hopefuls and Mason Jennings and he Jayhawks all lived and played in the area, while I was there. I saw not even all of these once, and none more than twice.

Belying that, I like live shows; I like to support local music.
When I got back to Ohio I rediscovered how rare it was to see a good show in a good bar. The only national tours that made stops were (1) giant names demanding at least 40 a ticket, (2) washed up straggling tours that never knew when to quit, and (3) bands that get play on top 40 and “rock” stations (ie Nickelback). Independent labels and bands seemed to all know that no one here cared and it would only be a waste of time and money to stop by. Cleveland and Cincinnati were as close as I was going to get.

Not long after I got here I was in a bar with some friends when a girl came up and started talking to me. It was later explained to me that she was “flirting’ with me, but as I was unfamiliar with the concept, no numbers were exchanged. We talked about music. I pressed her to name me some bands who were worth seeing locally. She could only name one. The Loyal Divide.

They’ve played about 10-12 shows in Columbus since that night. I’ve been to seven or eight of them. I even met my girl for the first time at a Loyal show. They are good.

I’d like you to meet them. But.
They are a live band. They have but one EP and I’ve found it rarely sounds good to people who haven’t the opportunity see them perform the songs. They’ve played but twice outside city limits since I’ve known them.
This is more of a notice that in a year or three, when they’ve left this cowtown for better pastures, and they play a show near you, that you are required by me to attend.

It’s five guys. Bands formed in college. Realized the potential enough to throw away other lives to move to Columbus to pursue this band. The sound is hard to describe. They play the requisite bass and guitar and drums and trumpet and fluglehorn(?) and cowbells and keyboards. Even their own website falls quite short:
The Loyal Divide graft tight-locked grooves upon broad strokes of psychedelic pop; a style which, if derivative, will over time develop into something both accessible and fascinatingly original.

And their myspace page claims they are from the category Indie / Psychedelic / Pop. My best stab was to muse that they are ‘what I would imagine Arcade Fire would have been before they figured out exactly what was so awesome about themselves.’ My friend who saw them for the first time last night, described them as Modest Mouse and Radiohead and something else all together.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

fan vid on the U

7:20 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

How about that They Might Be Giants show we saw at First Ave? The robot songs; pretty good!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord,
i appreciate local music and "scene" and whatnot but the time i saw your divide there was much too much of a drunken frat party feel. the band played well enough but i didn't like all their friends coming up and playing their cowbells or hugging and singing into the microphone. i understand that this is perhaps some of the charm of the venue at which i saw them and in a different genre (punk rock)this sort of behavior is the highest form of flattery a band can be given. i didn't feel that it was called for that evening, and unfortunatly for you beloved divide this is more of what sticks in my memory than their music. perhaps you should tell me next time they are playing and i'll give them another shot. or maybe not. i am a old married person now.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

loyal divide is busting out on the music scene for sure. i dont know what you have been previously exposed to, but the band recently started getting serious and playing shows in columbus, chicago, even texas... they are living in chicago now and playing shows quite often. they are gaining a large fan base... their sound is uniquely amazing.. the only reason their myspace and website dont demonstrate the sound to its preciseness in comparison to live shows is because vocalist, chris sadeks, soulful sounds cannot be produced. they are a band you need to see live to appreciate. their produced sounds are incredible but pail in comparison to the live shows that can stop your heart, move your soul, and a release a new feeling that radio head hasnt even explored... influenced by artists like my bloody valentine and radio head they still explore new dimensions and sound that you should want to experience.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home