Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cow Bio - Charles

By popular demand, here is.

Charles was the first calf I named when I arrived a year ago. There were two calves who were baldies (white headed black beefs) with an eyepatch like my man Spuds. To distinguish between the two one became Charles, the other the aforementioned Chuck.
In Minneapolis I played a game of pick-up ultimate weekly. One player was named Charles, another Charlie. That was too hard to distinguish for me so I made it one step easier.
Charles is the skinny dorky kid in the class. The one that acts out to get attention cause he doesn't seem to fit in. He's gangly and ugly, but has recently begun to grow into his bony head. Yeah, he's me in a cows body, so what?

Most of the friendly calves become friendly at the later stages of their short lives. The littler ones haven't gotten away from their wild animal backgrounds. Not so of Charles. He was little when I arrived. He was friendly then. He's still friendly. Too friendly. He's probably the most dangerous calf in the herd. He has no idea that he weighs 700 plus pounds and has a head made of bone four inches thick. If I'm found at the end of auger in bloody bits, Charles did it. But he was just trying to play.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Now we just need a new volume of WTF. Any visit to mpls planned?

Hi Drew!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

no, you're a gangly! beautiful misuse of a comma.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:
Cows kind of scare me. From far away they're not so bad, but up close - man their heads are so HUGE!!! Is it snowing there yet? Can you post some great snow pictures soon???

8:19 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

no snow. just flurries and frothy weathermen. i have some pictures from last year if you'd like me to lie?

8:23 PM  
Blogger SLRd said...

Would you believe me if I said I meant to do that? I didn't, but would you believe me?

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home