Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Sunset Tree.

This will be my most blog-like entry yet!
These are my dead and dying willow trees. Aren't they just fabulous? A willow tree is real neat to see in the summer when it's alive but they need far more water than most trees to live. So you can't have them near any human residence because they attack. Which is why they are dying all lonely like back in the fields.
Yesterady it was 55 and rain. Today it's 20 and blowing snow. Snow that somehow stuck to warm warm earth. Tomorrow it's again going to be 50+. I can't feed my cows when it's been too warm out for too long, as the entrance to the field turns into a sunken mupit. Even my 4-wheel drive JD gets stuck. So tomorrow morning I must dart in and out while the mud's half froze and hope I can get enough hay too them that it will last the next January week of rain and April-like temperatures.
I buried Dingo two days ago. My mom and I drove to Columbus to pick my brother up from the airport. As we passed the house my mom commented that Dingo was running in funny circles out in the field. Kent and I stayed in Columbus that night to celebrate Rusty's BD. My mom was left to feed the calves in my absence. When she came to the house to feed them she saw Dingo still running in the same crazy circles. We assume it was a stroke. And half-Dingo is no good to anyone. This time, putting her down was effective. She was the best farm dog anyone could ask for.
Darwin was thirsty after chasing me on the 3-wheeler this morning and I was tired of watching him eat snow to quentch his thirst. We have the silly notion that outdoor animals on a farm with multiple creeks and at least 2 springs don't need to be fed water. They can find it on their own. But Darwin has an aversion to walking back in the pastures. So I had him follow me down to the creek, and for the first time, he wanted to keep going. We wandered back to the woods. It looked awesome. Like Narnia under the Winter Queen. I didn't bring my camera so you'll just have to imagine it.
Metafilter is a meta-blog. I used to read it all the time. Now I only wander over there occasionally. Today I saw a link on the page to a AskMefi question: What skill should I learn next? The answers are interesting. Reminded me why I used to read it.
I was a politcial-internet junky in the months before I left Mpls. Most of it was stuff that fed my views. The best overall blanced web-coverage is run by the National Journal. Here it be.
And here's some public art that is delicious.
I need to learn how to train Darwin, wuss that he is. I was recommended this book. Has anyone had experience training a dog?
The Greens are right. The world is ending. We're killing everything. I care, truly I do, but I find it so hard to find a real way to participate in saving everything. There are scant beginnings, with the Prius, biofuels *shudder*, wind and sun powered dinky stuff. People are seriously contemplating starting more (lots more) nuclear power stations. But shit, China. In a few more years we Americans will be only half responsible. Can we humans really kill Gaia?
The Detroit Cobras play little brothers on Saturday. I won't miss them this time.
My mom's new very annoying cat pumpkin is yowling in my ear.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew - you're the best blogger since Jason Kottke!!!!!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home