Wednesday, January 11, 2006

That poop don't flush.

Fertilizer provides crops with the extra nutrients they need that they can’t get, year after year, from the soil. On bigger, corporater farms that means money for chemical sludge created by another corporations laboratory. On our wimpy little organic farm that means shit.

The calves all eat in the same small barnyard. They poop everywhere and at all times. On other cows, on their own tails, right where they lie down, in their water, everywhere.
The calves eat pasture in the summer and are kept out of the barn. The poop that ends up in the barnyard is mine to spread around. I got out my small tractor and scraped up a big pile of poo. Then I got my big tractor and hooked it to the manure spreader.
I filled the manure spreader with shit, using the bucket loader on the little tractor.Then I drove my load of shit to my future corn-field and painted it brown.

A moderately full of shit barnyard, as it was, took about 6+ hours and 8-10 loads of manure.
FlingFlangFlung. How was your day?

6 Comments:

Blogger MCMCMCLY said...

You know, growing up in Iowa you'd think I would know about this stuff but really, I had no idea you didn't buy fertilizer. Where do you keep the spreader when not in use? I can imagine it's ratehr gross full or empty.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

The entire farm smells like cow shit so it doesn't really matter where it's put, but, in a barn.

4:55 PM  
Blogger MCMCMCLY said...

Gotcha

6:18 PM  
Blogger laughjon said...

Drew, hello. Does calve poop smell as bad as human poop?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

I can't smell it from being around it all my life. (cow poop) But no, cow poop smells infinately better than chemical soup human poo even to city folk. There was a farmer around here that somehow had permission to spread human fecality on his fields, and wow was it rank.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And I thought doing the dishes was bad....

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home