Tuesday, February 07, 2006

War Wagon.

Who remembers three-wheelers?
This is my almost exclusive mode of transportation between farms. The War Wagon. It's a 1980-something HondaSX ATC250. Five speed with a foot shifter and thumb throttle. It had brakes once. Along with a front fender, a seat, and matching tires. But Honda's be hard to dispatch.
We had a matching pair of these on the farm growing up. They were made to race mud courses, but we used them to bring the cows in from the pastures to milk every morning and evening. I have sprained an ankle and severely bruised my tailbone (superman story) on them. Once I clotheslined myself with an electric fence wire. I've flipped this one three times so far since I've been home. That these are the only injuries I've sustained on these things is quite amazing.
My dad's friend Jesse has the other one. The only difference with that one is that its rear wheels are set out from the machine to keep it from tipping as easy. It still works and I'm planning on asking for it back as soon as I fully destroy this one.
Two of the farms are connected off-road with paths. My aunt and uncle's place is just up the road a 1/4 mile. The bike reaches speeds close to 40mph and is actually legal to drive (albeit only for farm to farm for farm purposes.) Cars don't like me much.
The hood ornament is a deer skull found out in the woods while cutting brush. I also have a smaller animal skull (cat? fox?) which I have yet to wire on. Rusty has some vague plans involving sidecars, machetes, and other groundhog killing amenities.
If you come out to visit, I might even let you drive it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I plan on visiting but will not be getting on that thing. Yikes!

You should drive that bay to the local watering house and pick up a biker.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

drew! where are you? booooo.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home