Friday, January 20, 2006

Destruction of property.

Yesterday was the day I needed to "dart in and out of the field."
Didn't quite go that way. The ground didn't set up quite like I had hoped. So I got my first major stuck under my belt. All day yesterday was devoted to trying to get my loaded hay trailer (trailer: 2 wheels, easy to back - wagon: 4 wheels, front wheels turn, a bitch to back) out of the mud sink I had sunk it in. (editor's note: it's not really mud. it's the fly-by-night bastard child of silage leakage, cow excrement, mud and January rainstorms) Kent brought up little johnny when big johnny wouldn't turn over. It took us about an hour and a half to break the three point hitch on little johnny. We needed more horsies. So I did some other chores waiting for my uncle to come home to show me how to drive his big tractor. (It's German and I didn't understand the icons that were supposed to be universal. When he explained it real quick this morning the letter K stood for Blitzkrieg, or drive like hell. No wonder I didn't get it.)
By 5:30 pm we managed to unstick my tractor, which had been sitting uselessly on the front of the trailer. Kent decided to drive the Deutz without instructions. By 7 pm we had broken two log chains and the trailer in two places. But it was still stuck. Our only success was removing the bales from the trailer. It was time for ribs. MMM ribs.This morning my uncle and I started out early. (As you can see by this picture, I got stuck approx. 1 foot into the pasture.) When his tractor (big), pulling my tractor (4wheeldr), pulling on the trailer with an exceedingly large chain wouldn't budge it we broke out the construction-grade backhoe. Picked up the back of the trailer with the front loader on the backhoe. Found that the floor of the trailer had broken off the back and created a sort of mouth which had picked up about 600 pounds of mud and sunk the end 2 feet into the ground. So we spent an hour shoveling mud out of the hay wagon. But 15 minutes after that, it was free:Of course, picking up a hay trailer with a massive machine bends hay trailers. Now I must completely take this welded together, packed with flamable hay, monster apart to put it back together.
And then later today my good tractor decided to not run anymore.
And then the weak calf decides to fall down and refuse to get up.

And then I ate some steak.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Hiya Drew. Ribs and steak, yum! Despite all the talk of poop your meals seem to be real nice. Dare I even ask; beef or pork ribs?

My family has always had small terriers. Training is ridiculous. Even though the have very muscular necks my mom has found electric fences to be extremely helpful. Not only do they stay in the yard, but the second she puts the collar on they sit, stay, and listen much better. This obviously will only work for an acre or 2.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Electric fences won't work on farms very well. There are electric collars with interchangable shock levels for the type and size of dog you have. Then there's the button you can push when the dog won't listen. Pretty effective. And after a while you won't need to ever push the button. Kinda Pavlovish but it works like a charm, especially with larger dogs. My grandfather would swear by it.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say what you will, that's a good game.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

slowly but surely we are finding you...

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home