Monday, September 11, 2006

Things That Smell In The Night.

Mowing hay last week and I about hit what appeared to be a black and white supersized weasel. It ran away. Riding a tractor is boring more than anything. So I spent some time imagining my newfound fame upon discovering the last identified Ohio mammal. Yeah, that's right, even my daydreams are boring. Towards the end of the field I found it again.
So I shut down the mower and jumped down to catch it. This turned out to be much simpler than I had thought. Between the size of a kitten and a full grown cat, my new little friend insisted on running like a weasel. Weasels hump along like inchworms. Not exactly a race-winning strategy.
It was a baby skunk. So much for fame. The next town over is currently inundated with the beasts. Baby anythings are cute. Baby anythings are also smelly. I am here to tell you that baby skunks are very cute and very smelly. I don't think he'd ever had to resort to spraying anything before and he was rather inaccurate. My boots and cell phone took the brunt of his wrath.

I like the way a skunk smells. Really. Growing up, smelling them as roadkill I thought it smelled bad, but it was only because everyone had told me that that was to be included in the bad smells category. It wasn't till I was a teenager that I noticed that rather than holding my breath when I caught a whiff, I had a tendency to inhale a giant lung-full. I like skunk. But a roadside dose is a good amount. To smell it all day does get a little old.

I was told that skunks are of the weasel family, hence the humping gait. But upon research I find that recently we've reconsidered and put them in their own grouping.

I also saw a ferret crossing the road a month past. That was exciting. Until I found out that they don't live here. And are practically extinct. Someone's pet was loose.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I don't get why anyone would own a ferret. Yuk.

My Mom got sprayed by a skunk when she was little and they bathed her in a tub full of tomato juice to get rid of the smell. I'll never forget that story. I don't even know if it worked.

I get why you like the smell of skunks. I like the smell of tires and gasoline. Oh, and newsprint.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha. i like the smell of skunks, too. i think it is just kind of an amplified version of human body odor smell, which is natural and good to me.

but maybe i am wierd.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vote #3 for liking the way skunks smell. Then again, I also like the smell of gasoline and WD-40, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home