Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cow Bio - Scarf


Scarf is that funny looking calf. Scarf has mittens. Mittens belong on kittens, not calveses. Nevertheless.

Beyond that. People have asked how the farming goes. How I'm handling it. I'm not. By that I don't mean I'm not coping, but that up till and including now, no farmer would call what I've done "farming." I've taken the corn silage and hay that my dad grew and harvested from their respective containers and fed them to his cows. That is all.
Come May I must start to harvest my own foodstuffs to keep my cattles alive through the next turning of the earth. My Dad and I decided to not grow any corn this year. This makes things a little easier on me, but it also will mean that from May till August I will be fighting the weather and the machines nonstop. Every available field will be turned to hay. Anyone have a free week to volunteer to help out?

I saw Inside Man and it was surprisingly good.
I saw V for Vendetta and it was disappointingly bad. Kudos to Alan Moore for disowning it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I volunteer Ian to help you plant hay. We're still planning to visit so when would the planting start?

"On our farm, we broadcast the hay seed into winter wheat in late winter or early spring and let the freezing and thawing action of the soil pull the seed into the ground. " http://www.newfarm.org/index.shtml

I read that you usually plant a nurse crop to help the hay grow and keep weeds down. So are you planting a nurse crop?

So you liked the spike lee joint, but hated V? For the record; I liked V.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

corn needs planting. but now i'm doing no corn.
i started seeding the hay last week. but since then it's been too windy. all the fields that were hay last year don't need to be planted. all the fields that were corn last year do need seeded to grow the grasses.
my dad planted wheat in the fields that were corn last fall. that's starting to grow now till these seeds kick in.
what i'll be needing the help with will be mowing, teading (sp?), raking, baling and putting of the bales in the barn. tedious, repetitive, mostly easy tractor driving.

first cutting starts near the end of may. anytime after that and before september would pretty much be hay time.

12:35 PM  
Blogger laughjon said...

drew, I suggest you get Teed to help you with the Teading. He can irritate the plants into growing.

I haven't seen V. Not into movies directed by cross dressing weirdos. Well that's not true, I liked Hedwig and the Angry Inch. V seems like a rental. After those two matrix movies all the Wojeshceshousghjkljwhi brother movies seem like direct to DVD type things.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

me likey. teed teading. reality show gold.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home